Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The Peer Pressure Starts Young...

I can't tell you how many times my daughter was offered candy or junk food in the last 24 hours.

We went to the post office and the man being the counter said, "Do you want a sucker?"
Luckily, I have a daughter who knows how awful this junk food is for you so she declined.

We then went to go visit a lady from church and her husband offered my daughter a Starburst.  "We don't give her candy." I politely responded.  "You don't?!?! Why not?"

Then, at school today she her friend offered her gum.  Her other friends were telling her that candy is okay to eat.  My daughter tried to convince them that it is not okay and is bad for your health and teeth. Her friends obviously won the battle because it was all of them against one.

Why don't parents teach their kids better eating habits?  I assume they get the eating habits from their parents, but when does the vicious cycle end?  Do they not realize the damage they are doing to their bodies and to their long term health?  It's like giving your kids junk food these days is so common.   Please tell me I'm not the only one that thinks this way.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lindsey. We only let our kids eat candy around the holidays. Even then, our kids won't eat it in moderation. My oldest didn't even like candy until she was about ten years of age, and even then she had only a select few pieces that she would eat. We educate our kids o the importance of eating healthy and exercising and it seems to be paying off so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peer pressure is one of the worse things for a child to have to deal with. I'm glad that your daughter was taught good eating habits. I hope this sticks with her when she is older. You have a very smart little girl as well as her parents. Keep up the good teaching habits.

    ReplyDelete