Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Gardening Progress

It is important that we eat our fruits and vegetables, but it is also important that we know where our produce is coming from.  If we grow our own produce, it ensures us that we know exactly what we are eating and they are grown without the need of pesticides.  This year we built our own garden bed out of some 2x4 pieces of wood.  It turned out nice, but it is a bit smaller than I hoped it would be.  Next year I want to built another the same size right next to it.

We kept the same herb garden we have always had.  In there we have some chives, green onions, garlic and basil.  I am still trying to grow grass around in the rest of the old garden area.

I also planted my strawberries in a pallet this year.  It worked pretty well and I have more strawberries coming up than ever before.  Of course, they have been running so I definitely should have more strawberries each year.

In my new garden bed I have a few different varieties of tomatoes and peppers as well as green beans and beans.  I also have some broccoli and cauliflower.  I am trying my luck with some brussels sprouts this year as well.  This is my first year with the brussels so I am anxious to see if I have any luck with them.  

My garden is looking pretty good.  All of the seeds have turned into actual plants and it looks like we will be in for a great season!

1 comment:

  1. We planted a garden this year too. The first time in about 24 years. I am so excited to use our own veggies from there. The lettuce that we planted were absolutely delicious. I would love to try strawberries next year. I have never planted my own strawberries before.

    ReplyDelete