Monday, June 15, 2015

Choosing a Midwife Over a Doctor


A week ago, I had a baby.  Her name is Lenora.  We had a tough time deciding on a name, but we were finally able to.  We wanted to keep with the J's and L's and finally came to an agreement on Lenora.  She is so sweet and sleeps all day long.  

The delivery was very unexpected.  I went in last Friday for a regular check up and they wanted to induce me early because of my high blood pressure.  After weighing out the pros and cons with my midwife we decided to go along with the induction.  My appointment was at 11:30 and the whole process started at 2:00 in the afternoon.  After I got to 7 cm dilated I opted for the epidural and started pushing at about 10:00 p.m.  I had my little girl at 12:13 a.m.  

The actual birth went along really nice.  With my midwife and a nurse being the only medical staff in the room, the dimmed lights and a peanut ball I was able to birth on my side instead of the traditional way on your back.  I really wanted to stand up, but it wasn't possible with my epidural.

Deciding between a midwife and a doctor is a big decision.  There are many benefits to hiring a midwife.

-Remember they work for you, not the other way around.  Doctors seem to want to push you into doing things you may not want to do.  With a midwife they are okay with you denying any tests you don't want to do as well as going along with your birth plan.  Midwives are much more laid back than doctors.  I decided not to drink the glucola drink to check my blood sugar levels, since that alone can give you gestational diabetes.  I also refused the pap smear and pelvic exam, like I always have.  My midwife was perfectly fine with that as it can lead to infections and rupture cancer cells which can ultimately lead to cervical cancer.

-Midwives use a more natural approach.  They will first try to diagnose any issues you have and cure them with natural remedies.  After all of the natural ways have been exhausted, they will then give you a prescription if you choose to go that route.

-Midwives can deliver at home or in the hospital.  You choose the setting you want and the midwife will help deliver the baby where you want them to.

-In America only about 3% of the population uses a midwife.  That means 97% of patients use a doctor for the birth of their children.  America has the highest still birth death rate.  Many countries that uses strictly midwives have very little still births.

-C section rates are much higher with regular doctors.

-Midwives rarely induce.  Unless you have a medical issues like I did, midwives will rarely induce labor.  They believe in the mom's ability to go into labor naturally.  You wouldn't believe all the stories I have heard of doctors inducing patients early just because they are heading on vacation or want to have their baby on a certain date.  Inductions definitely increase the chances of a C-section.


Here is a picture of my baby :) I just did her newborn pictures a few days ago.  I'm anxious to post them!




8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your sweet baby girl! Lenora is a beautiful name. : )

    Midwives really are wonderful, and so empowering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I love her name! I was able to use midwives for my first two births. The third child required an induction and a hospital transfer from the birth center :( But I managed to have a good experience despite only meeting the doctor a few hours before Jocelyn was born.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg I totally want a midwife! I've heard soooo many good things about the process. Not pg yet but trying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely amazing! I would recommend one over a doctor any day!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations!! :) She's so beautiful <3 What a beautiful name too!! I think you'll be the most wonderful mum in the world and inspire so many other people along the way
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is adorable! I am so happy for you. Congratulations on your beautiful little baby girl. What a precious little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats!! Babies are such a wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!!! I've been gone awhile.

    ReplyDelete